Since there happens to be quite a few refurbishment projects going on right now at both parks, and we’ve had a ton of questions about how to find out about these refurbishments, we wanted to dedicate a whole post to how we search information about attractions closures/re-openings.
First, we wanted to share the attractions currently closed and their re-opening dates (if we know the dates).
Disneyland Refurbishments as of February 6, 2018
- Splash Mountain – no known re-open date yet, but likely this Spring
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant – opening sometime this Spring with a new covered line queue behind the attraction (yay for shade! Finally!)
- Casey Jr. Circus Train – re-opening March 2, 2018
- Storybook Land Canal Boats – re-opening February 16, 2018
- Main Street Vehicles are down due to refurbishments on the Main Street tracks – re-opening March 16, 2018 – Main Street currently has walls up around the flag pole, about halfway down the center of the street and then starting back up around Starbucks all the way down around the hub. The castle is still wide open and NOT covered.
- NO PARADES HAPPENING UNTIL APRIL 13 when the Pixar Play Parade begins at Disneyland during Pixar Fest (and yes, Pixar Play Parade will be at Disneyland this time instead of California Adventure).
California Adventure Refurbishments as of February 6, 2018
- California Screamin’ – transforming into a new rollercoaster called the “Incredicoaster,” opening Summer 2018 when Pixar Pier opens.
- Mickey’s Fun Wheel – transforming into a Pixar-themed ferris wheel – re-opening Summer 2018 with Pixar Pier.
- King Triton’s Carousel – changing to a Toy Story-themed carousel – re-opening Summer 2018 with Pixar Pier.
- Cove Bar and Ariel’s Grotto – changing to a Restaurant and Lounge – re-opening Summer 2018 with Pixar Pier.
- Games of the Boardwalk – re-opening Summer 2018 with new Pixar-themed games
- Food and Shops
- Paradise Pier Ice Cream Company (food)
- Treasures in Paradise (store)
- Boardwalk Bazaar (store)
- Sideshow Shirts (store)
- All of the small food stands along Paradise Pier (down by Mickey’s Fun Wheel and California Screamin’) are closed
- Food and Shops
- NO PARADE until the Paint the Night Parade begins at California Adventure on April 13 during Pixar Fest.
How to Check Refurbishment Schedules and Closures/Re-openings
The way we find out if attractions are going to be closed is by simply searching on Disneyland.com. Sometimes the information is not quite available when we search, so we might ask a Cast Member, but often times, Cast Members may not even know a re-opening date for an attraction or show, so most of the time we just keep following up with Disneyland.com to find the information.
There are a couple of ways we find this information out, so keep reading the whole post if you want to know all the details!
First Step: Search “Daily Events Schedule” on Disneyland.com. The screen we show below will pop up. Click on “View All Park Calendars” at the bottom of the “Park Hours” section. See below.
Second Step: Once you’ve clicked “View All Park Calendars,” the screen below will pop up. Change the calendar date at the top of the page to whatever date you’re looking for. Note: you can only choose a date up to 6 weeks out from the current date. See below.
Third Step: Once you’ve chosen your date, scroll down the page a bit to find the “Closed for Refurbishment” list for Disneyland and then scroll a little further to find the list for California Adventure Park. See below.
ANOTHER WAY TO SEARCH FOR ATTRACTION CLOSURES
Search for the specific attraction’s name on Disneyland.com, then click on the attraction to get the screen we’ve posted below.
Casey Jr. Circus Train is closed for refurbishment, so once you’ve searched the attraction’s name that is down for refurbishment, you will see a notice at the top of the page in red stating that it’s closed, then below where it says “Monday February 5, 2018,” it will say “No times available,” meaning the attraction is not running.
To find out when the attraction will be running again, you can click the small calendar located next to the date on this page and choose dates up to 6 weeks out. If the attraction is open again, there will be a time listed under the date and it will no longer say “No times available” (see two photos down to see what we mean). Casey Jr. Train re-opens on March 2, 2018, so under the date, you will notice it says 9:00 am – 12:00 am.
Searching for Entertainment Start Dates
To find out when specific shows will be happening after not being on the schedule for awhile, you can once again search “Daily Events Schedule” on Disneyland.com and choose dates up to 6 weeks out by clicking the small calendar located next to the current date at the top of the page. Sometimes the entertainment may not be fully updated when you check, meaning they may not have chosen a start date for the specific show you’re looking for, but just keep checking.
Example below: Fireworks are not currently happening at Disneyland due to Main Street refurbishments. Below we show the arrow pointing to the date at the top of the page that says March 14, 2018 and the arrow pointing down shows NO fireworks spectacular under the Fireworks & Nighttime Spectacular section. Scroll down to the next screenshot to see that when we changed the date to March 15, 2018, “Remember…Dreams Come True” fireworks appear because they will be starting back up that evening.